Monday, August 11, 2008

ChurchGal: the Olympics, the Other and Orientalism

From my other blog, ChurchGal, a post is up on 'the Olympics, the Other and Orientalism':

I love the Olympics. Not for sports - I could care less, frankly, though I enjoy watching the more obscure things, like fencing. I like the Olympics because the nationalism is just so immensely wrong and amusing.

Friday, my friends and I made up a drinking game during the Beijing opening ceremonies. For kicks, and because we are students of the problematic ways our media covers other countries during the Olympics, we made a list of things that might be said or shown during NBC coverage of the games that might be a little problematic or just drive us nuts.


We weren't disappointed. You can catch the rest of my post over here.

No comments: