Tuesday, May 03, 2005

so. reference checks.

what a pain - especially when you're pretty sure the lukewarm words from your ex-ceo will totally drive a nail in your employment coffin. perhaps i didn't do enough to hide the boredom and contempt i had for my job. hm. always a problem. and perhaps i necessarily wasn't inspired by the endless tedious task of managing her calendar. and maybe i hated my job with a hatred that burned hotter than a sunspot. and maybe they knew that.

but that's no reason not to LIE and say, Ding is a fabulous wonderful person and you would be lucky to have her at your non profit agency. hire her!

see? that's not so hard.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey..maybe there's some solid comfort in that...you weren't happy in what you feel is a bad environment, where bad things are done in promotion of a bad system.

It seems right that such an employer wouldn't give a glowing review because you weren't one of them.

Perhaps not convenient, but affirming of your greater mission.

A-non

Nam LaMore said...

depending on your relationship to your ex-managers, you can always just let them know that even though it didn't work out between the two of you, you would really appreciate a kind word as you move on in your endeavors.

i keep up with all my previous managers - even with those that we had difficulty working together - they know that i'm a hard worker and dependable; it just didn't work out with that company/department. i often send an email ahead of a reference check to let them know what my plans are, and they usually help -- they don't want to be seen as spiteful (because they are not!).

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna admit it. If my last employer and I didn't end on a particularly positive note (read - burned that bridge down to the...river) I put "confidential" on my rez and make like, (lie), say that I still work there.

::hanging my head:: I'm not very proud of myself at this moment. But it's worked!

The Heretik said...

Ding is a fabulous wonderful person and you would be lucky to have her at your non profit agency. hire her!

See I said it.

Delia Christina said...

janine...you're bad...
and you're brilliant.

heh.

heretik: if you could just plaster that all over chicago that would be great.