Friday, May 06, 2005

the reference saga continues. large national non-profit will make a decision today after speaking with another reference but on tuesday i have a meeting with a colleague's husband who's starting his own non-profit in the south loop and he really really needs someone to help run it.

yes. RUN it. he's involved with the grant and development aspect and now he needs someone to organize and take charge of one of their three main program areas: charity, outreach, or education.

silly fears: huh? that's too much! if i'm interested and he wants me to come aboard, what if it's too big? what if i can't handle it? what if what if what if? what if (gasp) i'm doomed to FAILURE??

i hate spinning in circles like this, being caught in a vortex of cowardice. where is the fearless woman i thought i was? where is the woman who up and left the safety of academia to come to chicago and live in a studio apartment in boystown just because? where is the woman who bravely decided not to fight for a job she hated and quit? where's that foolhardy chick who, once upon a time, traveled to far cities to meet boys she only just 'met' online?? where's that woman?

if you find her, please tell her to give me a call.

UPDATED: The national woman centric non-profit just called to make me an offer and I SAID YES!! I'm in! I no longer have to prostrate myself before the hog of Capital!! Instead, I'll be laid out in front of the little squirrel called Service to Others!! I'm so happy I could make myself a celebratory margerita right now!

In fact, I'll do just that! (In the meantime, if anyone knows of any nifty budgeting tricks and ways to get by on less than 32k/yr, I'd love to hear it. Really. I'm not kidding.)

Yay!!

...
meanwhile, the Worst Romance Novel in the World is chugging along nicely. our hero and heroine have just successfully snogged and are presently experiencing recriminations and just barely bridled lust.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, you're certainly neither cowardly nor incapable of such a challenge. you're just having the same kind of "oh, Sh*t" moment we all would have.

A-non

bitchphd said...

Congratulations!

Do you want to be like a contact for me? Does national woman non-profit need a writer, say? Hmmmmmmm?

Delia Christina said...

there are tons of non-profits who need writers, especially if you know how to write a grant. i have a few sources so i'll email those to you over the weekend.

Nam LaMore said...

congrats on the new job - sounds like it's fun and challenging.

tips for living on a low budget:
* no more weekend trips to paris or milan
* never visit a friend's place without a load of dirty laundry; make sure they have washer and dryer
* never leave a friend's place empty-handed. their fridge is likely full of stuff you'll want to bag yourself
* when invited to a party, respond with, 'i'll be coming over from another party, do i need to change my clown costume?'

db said...

congratulations! that's great news. I'm really happy for you.

oh, and the challenge of living within your means... hmm. I suppose a sugardaddy is out of the question???

Delia Christina said...

alas, no.
no sugar (daddy or otherwise) on the horizon.

i think i'm allergic to people with money.

Sid said...

congrats on the job jump.

here are my tricks for living cheap, as I remeber them from grad school:

1. Learn to love ramen tossed with egg and frozen veg.

2. Learn to love baked beans and eggs.

3. Hunts spaghetti sauce really isn't all that bad. And it's about 1/3 the cost of anything you can get in a jar.

4. First fridays or whatever at your local culture establishment. Not only is it free, but it's often packed with likeminded (walleted) young single folks

5. Clothing recycling. As long as you wear drawers and don't spill things all over them, you really can go 3 times without washing your pants. Then again, summer's coming...

6. Buy music, convert it to MP3s for your listening pleasure, then turn right around and resell it. Is that horribly wrong?

7. Thrift stores! I love them.

8. Sugar daddy! Or sugar-daddy-like friends.

good luck! mostly I would do crazy shit like walk everywhere, and I mean everywhere, saving myself a whopping 4-8 bucks a day, which would then allow me to get properly buzzed and entertained on weekends.