Friday, May 06, 2005

rendering unto caesar...

i forgot about this story.

so, as usual, i was just under the wire this year filing my taxes. i filed online and was set to receive a not too shabby refund. i looked forward to this refund considering this is my LotD period (Lady of the Day, for the uninitiated.)

so i waited the requisite 5-10 business days. no deposit of healthy influx of cash from my government. checked a week later...and so on. then, monday, i received a bland white envelope from our friendly dept of the treasury. if i was slightly paler i think i would have blanched when i opened it.

in a crisp tone i was informed that since i still had an outstanding debt (bad student loan, bad!) they decided to apply my tax refund to the debt. helpful of them, huh?

here endeth the lesson: do not fuck with uncle sam's money.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

MY how thoughtful of them...

Perhaps China and Japan and any other creditor nation with a lien on our collective nutsack may someday be similarly helpful with respect to our debt?

Heh..there I go, bein' a whiney liberal again...

A-non

Nam LaMore said...

i had the same experience when i first got out of college. every year for a long time, my refund was applied to my outstanding student loan.

fortunately, that's over with! the lesson i learned: don't count on that refund!

Sid said...

Heeeeeyyyyy...

I just remembered Uncle Sam took a little chunk out of my refund and claimed it was to cover an old debt (that I had paid, a week earlier) and swore that if I had overpaid, I'd get a check in 4-6 weeks.

That...was in early February. The bastids!