Sunday, January 23, 2005

rude but right: social security and survivor benefits

The Rude Pundit

here's a story of my own:
my mother and father always made very modest money and when my mother died four years ago, the social security survivor benefits my father received was a cushion for a man who had never cleared more than 40k a year as a pastor (oh, some years, 30k would have been a gift.) my father hadn't expected these benefits at all; he had, frankly, forgotten they existed. when the check arrived in the mail, he cried. he was able to settle some debt and keep the house - he was able, in other words, to participate in this great ownership society of ours. (sarcasm here.)

so here's a note to those republicans who want to take away 'ordinary people's' money: hands off, fuckers.

No comments: