Monday, December 19, 2005

plus, it was cold

the holiday party i hosted for my workmates made me unfit for human interaction so i spent the weekend at the cinema. here's my take:

king kong - helpless blonde femaleness sacrificed to appease the questionable lust of a giant primate by dark-skinned natives is never uplifting. however, overly long sequences of rampaging dinosours are always fun. this should be peter jackson's next challenge: dude, make a movie under three frickin' hours!

chronicles of narnia - ok, who DIDN'T have the words to that lame poem, 'Footprints in the Sand', pop into their heads when Aslan left the big coronation? yes, we get it - he's JESUS! the movie was fun enough but crazily violent - like, LOTR violent but without spurting. and when are the brits going to GET OVER their fascination with all things king richard and hobbit-like? really. just get over it. and HOW LUCKY for the children than narnia is has all their favorite british foods in it, right?

brokeback mountain - sad. sad. depressingly sad. if only they had lived in san francisco or new york...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God I am not alone on the Footprints thought! And I missed the rather avuncular narrator's voice from the books - a lot. And I *really* missed hearing the White Witch say "It is dull, Son of Adam, to drink without eating." I, not kidding, was looking forward to that a lot.

Delia Christina said...

i thought the whole allegory thing was a bit too...up front. you know? like, we get it already!!
did you have a lot of youth groups in your theater? i think we had a lot of youth pastors there.

i also thought the fawn, tumnus, looked at little lucy in a way that was...skeevy.

jp 吉平 said...

oo, but you like skeevy, right? I bet he could have worn a shirt.

As we walked out of the cinema, my sister and I split a gut trying to rework the poem for a four legged Jesus.

Delia Christina said...

i like skeevy - in christopher walken - not a fawn who's looking at a child like he wants to DO something to her! euww!

once you work out the poem, send it to me.

jp 吉平 said...

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?”

And the Lord replied,
"ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWR!"

Delia Christina said...

snort.
you totally need to post that on churchgal. heh.