Tuesday, November 09, 2004

i think oprah had an episode about this...

so, call me crazy, but i'm quitting my cushy, fabulous (cough), extrememly civilized job in a couple of months to do something nuts: work for change.

i'm in the middle of talking with my firm this week and they're very cool - actually they're relieved. they thought i had a flaming drug habit or something. but it's only a bad case of politics. once we work out the details of how/when i leave (please, after the holidays!) they're going to put me in touch with people i can talk to who can put me in touch with other people and, by hook or by crook, next year i'm going to do work that matters to me. this corporate crap sucks.

is it scary? totally. i like shopping. i like living in chicago. i like having a fabulous apartment. but is working for a soul killing corporate death star worse? yes. absolutely. this election and what our country is becoming distresses me and i have to DO something.

does this mean i'm going to turn into one of those dirty children screaming about globalization? uh, no. this doesn't mean i'm going to wear a sandwich board and walk up and down michigan avenue, either. it just means that the non-profit world or some tiny political office somewhere is going to have me doing something for them. (the women in my firm know everyone - even kissinger.)

so i'm still here. i haven't gone off the deep end. i'm just sick of the other side winning all the time.

No comments: