Thursday, May 08, 2008

a real mother's day

A co-blogger from Bitch Ph.D. writes this about the upcoming Mother's Day weekend:

What I want for Mother's Day is some demonstration that the adult-ish people to whom my mothering matters (which is currently only my husband as our daughter is young) have reflected on what it means to try to mother with intelligence, grace, courage, and kindness in this historical moment. I want a recognition that I am under-served by social and business policies that do not value the work I do as a mother, and that I am under-served by the sentimentalization of motherhood. I want awareness that while the domestic labor I do is unpaid, it is not, de facto, my labor and has very little to do with mothering. I want conscious decisions to value the social and political influence of mothering, and commitments to increasing the visibility of the ways mothers are disenfranchised.

Here, here.

A real happy mother's day to all you moms out there. Really. Y'all deserve more than that.

No comments: