Wednesday, March 22, 2006

time to move on?

I'm thinking about closing my ChurchGal blog for a while, if not permanently. I've loved writing for that blog but I have to admit the few times some fundamentalists have strolled on over, I've lost my equanimity and sense of humor. I know - only a few times. I should be glad it's not all the time.

This is what it is: They're rude. Like, I don't care what they think - I'd actually like it more if they talked more about what they thought - not what they think about me but what they think. But they're really crudely rude.

They feel comfortable saying things that, if they were standing in front of my face, in my home, I'd be forced to tell them, Get the fuck out my house.

As it's becoming distasteful to listen to them or engage with them, I also find that I'm becoming as humorless and dour as they and that's unacceptable.

The original goal of the blog has disappeared - I wanted it to be a snarky eyed view of contemporary religion but more recently it's becoming a place where people want to engage in seminary theology debate. If I wanted seminary debate I'd be in seminary, thanks.

Or, maybe I'll just do what the conservative blogs do and close comments. Yeah, that'll do it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's a load of crap. and i don't have a bible verse to back it up, either! don't lump all the fundies in the same basket. it's as unfair as lumping all liberals in the same basket.

have i been rude to you? i have not meant to. your churchgal blog has given me reason for pause and consideration. i would like to think that at least a smattering of something i've said has given you pause for consideration.

but i do understand your frustration. i've taken you out of my favorites at least twice. isn't that funny? i think it's a scream. we're like the odd couple. on crack. ;)

Delia Christina said...

oh, jc, not you.

i actually like sparring with you.
it's the other ones i don't like! and so i've been deleting them. and they keep coming back. and i keep deleting them. grr!

(and i know how whiny it is of me to respond like this to, most likely, 2 people who've stopped by. but by golly! those 2 worked my last nerve! and there's this niggling sense i have that i can't get rid of that there's a *gendered* component to their rudeness.)

jp 吉平 said...

hey ding,

you can always moderate your comments, so that the a-holes don't get posted.

you'd still read them, but they wouldn't get the satisfaction of posting for the record, and then maybe that will discourage them from their drive-by hate mails.

Anonymous said...

Coward- The incredible Ding is allowing a few and maybe its just a few posters to upset her! Why?

Let me say this,most rude comments, if you want to call them that is done to make you think about the other side. Your opinions may be off at times, nevertheless you make some very strong and valid points on variety of issues. Like your poverty post. Who can argue with that! I'm counting my blessings after reading that one. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe you do need to re-think somethings about the purpose of the blog. We ALL do at times. And- you are not a saint on the rudeness part. You have said some pretty nasty things Ding. We all took it in good humor, though. Some took a bit far.

Anonymous said...

If you do decide to close the blog, and if I'm ever in the Chicago area, I'll let you tell me off to my face. Afterwards, I'll buy you a drink. You will need one after you finish.

Delia Christina said...

i was born on the other side. i know it quite well.
and i never said i was a saint!
i acknowledge my quick temper and i HATE criticism of any kind. hate. it. it's Scorched Earth Mode or nothing. (i never said i was subtle.)

last night i was having a drink with a guy and our conversation got insanely political and i actually found myself slamming my glass on the bar with increasing ferocity. i can't help it! i am always right! always! (stamp of the foot)

but beyond the rudeness, my feelings about ChurchGal are really about trying to regain the humor. it's getting too serious. losing the irony.

jp 吉平 said...

ding, the other think you can do is ban anonymous posts.