Saturday, June 30, 2007

a lesson in credit

i found my perfect bed at macy's and sears today. i bounced, i rolled, i laid, i stretched but, alas, i could not buy either one of them because my credit is less than stellar.

and now i am demoralized as i face adulthood. apparently, adulthood also includes kick ass credit, despite there being no actual debt.

this is what i don't get: there are people out there with thousands of dollars in credit debt (hello, i saw you on oprah) and here i am, with perhaps $100 in credit debt and a few delinquents. they can buy houses and cars and i can't get a freaking bed?

sadness. so much sadness, i bought comic books and spent the afternoon reading them and watching videos on vh1.

i think i might have to buy my bed from the skeevy guys on milwaukee avenue.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

From what I understand (which is very little about credit), store credit (and store credit cards) is much harder to get than other things. I had a friend who moved here from Canada who had impeccable credit there. She tried to get a target credit card, and was denied because she didn't have any credit in the US! Insane! But you're right, people who owe tons seem highly able to get credit.

careful of the interest rates with the skeevy guys! Have you tried that top secret, super cheap furniture store over by DePaul on Sheffield?

liza said...

Yeah, that's the wierd thing about credit. If you charge up a bunch and then pay some of it off, they give you more. And then you charge it up more, then they give you even more. And then you buy a house (more debt) and they give you more.

I think you don't have to buy your bed from the skeevy place. Apply for a credit card (citibank or whomever) and use that to buy your bed from Macy's. You'll probably get a better interest rate. Failing that you could get a personal line of credit from your bank (like a credit card, but without the card; they put the dosh in your account). Shrinky's right; store credit is harder to get. I think it's because it's a holdover from the 19th century when money was real. Anyway, store cards usually have higher interest rates.

I'm so middle class I can't stand it.

$100 is credit card debt? that's unamerican that is.

Unknown said...

I hadn't meant to be mysterious about the furniture, by the by. I just couldn't remember the name of it. It's Roy's:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/BmM5k1EkM73pIbtwHXtXNA

Delia Christina said...

shrinky: i've been to roy's before! it was great. well, i have the bed situation solved, somewhat.

roomie offered to drive down an extra bed from her mom's house, but i'm going to buy a bed from a friend who's selling hers and then get a nice foundation for it. so, with the help of friends, who needs credit?!

but thanks to roomie and T- who talked me down from the roof last night and gave me some solutions to really see what's going on with my credit situation. my debt is so low there's no reason why i can't clean up my credit reports.

what would i do without all you folks and your advice?